Thursday, August 6, 2015

Fairytale Rose Necklace

Hello! Today I want to show you a fairytale necklace I made:


I've actually never made a necklace with lace ribbon before. I had to use a different kind of clasp to secure the ends, but I think it turned out great, and I'm going to show you what I did.


The bulb I used is from Fairy Tale, by Bead Treasures. I got it at Hobby Lobby. They have a lot of their pendants in the jewelry section. I love these Fairy Tale treasures because, well, they're just so fairytale-ish. Is that a word? I'm not sure. :) I'm a huge fairy tale person, so when I discovered this brand at Hobby Lobby, I was really excited to see all the stuff they have. They had little storybook pendants, dragon pendants, swords, bottles with moss inside, basically any kind of enchanted jewelry piece you can imagine.


When I saw this bulb with the dried flowers inside, I knew I would have to make a necklace. Instead of using an ordinary chain to hang it on, I used some lace ribbons from Bead Landing that I got at Michael's. These are the clasps I used to secure the ends of my ribbon. I believe they are called 'spring coils'.


You have to secure them onto the ribbon by chomping down onto the last coil with pliers to hold the ribbon tight.
At first, I had some trouble getting those broad ends of ribbon into the spiral shape. The ends would keep fraying so that I couldn't get the entire end secure in the clasp. It took some doing, but I found a solution!


I folded the ribbon lengthwise near the end, then I threaded a needle, and tied a large knot in the thread.


Then I just slipped the needle through the spiral, and pulled...


Ta-da! It worked great! It was the only way I could think of to shinny that thick ribbon into the teeny spiral. Then I just cut the thread and chomped down that last spiral ring with some flat-nose pliers and put lobster clasp on.

And a jump ring on the other end.

It makes me think of something from Beauty and the Beast! Which, by the way, I can't WAIT to come out. Being my own favorite fairytale (that and Cinderella), I was super excited when I heard they were making a new live action movie! And since the necklace looks good with pretty much anything...
 

...I might even wear it when I go see the movie. :D The dried flower would fit in perfectly with the enchanted rose theme.


If you like, you can keep it in a jewelry pouch, which I have a tutorial for here!

Thanks for reading this, and have a great week!
-Phoebe

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...