Sunday, August 30, 2015

A Peek Into My Sketch Book Pt. 1

I am definitely not the best drawer I know (no, I don't mean a bureau, I mean a person who draws) . Still, I love to do some sketches and drawings sometimes, and once in awhile they turn out pretty good! I wanted to show you some of the stuff in my drawing notebooks, and you will see some that are good, and others that are...not so much. Teehehe. :)

So here they are! I'll put the dates on 'em, so you can see how my drawings have changed through the years. I'm gonna show you eight drawings today. Here's the first one:

Snoopy: June 11th, 2012
 
You might as well know right now that the guy who made peanuts is one of my heroes, and Snoopy, one of my favorites characters. At this point, whenever I drew stuff,  I didn't really make an outline for my drawings. I just kind of drew and if it came out right, I was lucky. I hadn't yet gotten into the whole 'draw lightly' thing.

Polar Bear Webkinz: June 12th, 2012

Yes, yes, I used to be on Webkinz. My username was 0huskey8 and I had 45 Webkinz animals. There. Now you know. Anyways, I used to love drawing all of my little furry buddies. This is probably the best one. My mom thought it was so cute when I first showed it to her. :)

An Elderly Person at Peace: 2013


 That year for school (2013), my Mom bought me a drawing book ("Draw to Learn: Proverbs" from Notgrass), and every day it told me to draw something specific. They gave me a passage from Proverbs and told me to draw something based on the passage. For this picture, the passage was Proverbs 3:1-2, so I was supposed to draw an old person who feels at peace. This is one of the drawings I spent a lot of time on. The woman's face could use some improvement, but I think all the colors came together really well.

Girl Sketch: 2015


This is just a random girl I was trying to draw from my head. It seems that my best drawings are from pictures I copy, and this isn't one of them. I was trying to make the sleeves look gloriously puffy. Fail. I think the top is pretty good though.

House: May 9th, 2012

 I drew this one step by step in a drawing book, which I think was called 'Draw Write Now'. I don't remember which book it was, but I used several growing up through school, and they all did a great job teaching me to slow down and think about the little details in my drawings. Most of them I left black and white, but some of them, like this one, I wanted to add color. What a good choice that was! I still really like the way the two browns on the cabin give the wood some dimension.

The Mines of Moria: November 28th, 2014

Here's one for you Lord of the Rings fans! :D This is another one from Draw to Learn, and the instructions said to draw a doorway, preferably an evil doorway. My first idea was to do a Hobbit door from the Shire, but I decided to do this one from the Mines of Moria, because even though it isn't exactly evil per se, it looked way more evil than a regular Hobbit door would. As I was drawing this, I was worried that the vines on either of the pillars would be too unequal, but in the end they turned out surprisingly symmetrical. I got lucky. :)

Girl With a Headband: February 3rd, 2015

 Earlier this year, I decided to try practicing my people faces more. Since I've always been so bad at them, I knew that I would never get better unless I practiced. So, I took the plunge. I started drawing more lightly, which made it much easier to erase, and I also picked me up a couple of helpful tools for my drawing. Including tortillions, and kneaded erasers. Those little things added so much more details to my drawings, and if you don't have them, please consider getting some. Someday I might even do a little post on how to use them for your advantage.
Ok, last drawing.
Mr. Jarndyce from Bleak House (2007): May 10th, 2015
 Like I said, some of my best drawings are the ones I copy. I really wanted to draw this guy Jarndyce, because he's one of my favorites in Bleak House, so I Googled some pics of him, and this is the one I liked best for drawing:

Does it look like him? I think so, and  anyway I was happy that at least a person could tell that it was him easily enough. :) Yes, his face is a little too skinny in my picture, but I'm really happy with the way this one turned out.

Well, that's all I have for you in Part 1! Yes, Pt. 1 means there will be a Pt. 2, because you know, I have done more drawings than this, and I'd love to share them with you to inspire your own drawings. Maybe these posts will get you motivated to draw more! So that's my advice: Keep practicing, draw lightly, and you can't go wrong. Even if you're like me and drawing isn't your best thing. Yet, I still love to draw sometimes.
I hope you're having a great week, and I'll see you next time!
-Phoebe

8 comments:

  1. *GAAAAAAAAAAAAAASP*
    Okay; where do I start...First of all, MR. JARNDYCE. Very like, very like. I love it. He makes that face often, I've noticed. :)
    Second. The girl with the headband! I know you've sent her to me before, but SHE'S SO PRETTY! I really admire how you did her hair; hair has always been kinda hard for me.
    And THIRD; THE MINES OF MORIA! I heartily applaud you, madam! Very nicely done! :)
    Love, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I knew I wanted to draw Mr. Jarndyce, but I was afraid I'd mess him up. :) Fortunately, he turned out ok. :)
    YYEEESSS hair is SO HARD TO DRAW!!!! But thank you for the compliment. I wish I could make them all look that good. :P
    I really enjoyed drawing the Mines of Moria! It was easy too, because it's just lines! There's no shadows and shading to do! :D
    -Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You are an artist! Or a budding one at least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it does look like him. No need to be worried about that!:) The picture of the girl is REALLY good. I agree with Tess about the hair- you did a great job on it:) I have a really hard time with hair usually:P I have a lot of practically- finished (as in everything but the hair:P) drawings:)
    Snoopy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Elodie! I'm glad you think it looks like him. :D Everything but the hair?! Now that's the way to do it! Maybe you could make them bald with a hat on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. YOUR PICTURE OF MR JARNDYCE. That's amazing. SO jealous of your talent! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thank you! It just takes practice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Snoopy!!! Yours truly, Gracie.😉

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snoopy is one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...