Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Christmas Tree Globe

This year for Christmas, I wanted to come up with an idea that I could give my friends that everyone would like, that's unique, that says 'Christmas'. So, I came up with this cute idea:


I got the idea when I saw some cute little Christmas trees from Merry Minis at Michael's.


It's super easy to make. Here are the things you will need:
  • Glass corked domes from Tim Holtz Idea-ology. I got mine at Michael's. It was a four pack with two different sizes.
  • Little Christmas trees, like the ones I mentioned above from Celebrate It.
  • A cotton ball.
  • E600 Glue (Which is probably the strongest glue in the world... hard as a rock when it's dry.)
  • Tacky glue (not pictured). To adhere the cotton. 
  • This is optional, but if you have flat nosed pliers, use them to help stick the tree wire into the cork. It makes it easier.


BTW, before we get started, I wasn't able to find any trees little enough that had snow on them, so I used a toothpick and some white acrylic paint to stipple little dots on to make snow. You can use the plain trees if you want, but I like the snowy ones. :) 

I began by putting a light layer of tacky glue onto the smaller end of my cork (the end that goes inside the dome).

Then, I took some of the cotton from the cotton ball and spread it out to create a thin layer, and placed it over the glue. You might have to cut around the edge of the cork to remove any extra cotton that hangs over the edge.


See my little patch of snowiness?!
When the glue was completely dry, I got my pliers and stuck the tree trunk wire into the very center of the cork.
You have to be careful doing this, because the wire will try to push the cotton into the little hole you're making in the cork.
I just worked it in gently so that didn't happen.


 So cute!


Then I put a little dot of E6000 the cork (not too much...), and fastened the dome on, and that's it!


Let me take this opportunity to warn you about E6000. While it is the best and strongest glue you could ever need, it's so strong that it can make you sick if you breath it in. The packaging is covered in warnings, so when you use this stuff, don't use it too close to your face, or anything like that, ok?

Just so you know. :)

The instructions for this craft aren't very long because it's so easy. It's a great little favor to give all of your friends. The kind of little thing that everyone loves. :)


I have these cute little doily things from Recollections that I put underneath for display. I think it looks cute. :)
I hope you have fun making these, and if I don't post before then, have a Merry Christmas! 
-Phoebe

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...